This is a great breakfast meal after a hard run and it works great for a quick dinner meal when you use leftover rice.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated kelp, to taste
- 2 teaspoons tamari, to taste
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil or butter
Sauté sesame seeds in a cast iron skillet in the oil. Be careful not to burn them – they burn quickly! When seeds begin to smell fragrant and just start to turn light brown, add rice. Cook rice and sesames for a few minutes until hot, turning quickly with a spatula. Add a little hot water to rice mixture.
Cook eggs over-easy in butter, olive oil, or in a non-stick skillet. Put the rice in a shallow bowl and serve the eggs on top of the rice. Sprinkle liberally with kelp. Add tamari or soy sauce to taste.
Variations on a Theme
- Season rice with a bit of cayenne and sea salt instead of kelp and tamari
- Sauté onions, bell peppers, or summer squash before adding sesame seeds
- Serve with broccoli or steamed greens like spinach, kale or Swiss chard.
- Scramble eggs and mix into rice
- Use crumbled tofu instead of eggs
Keys to Success
- Sesame seeds burn easily so add rice as soon as the seeds start to bubble in the oil or you will end up will sesames all over your stove!
- Short grain brown rice works best for this meal