This is one of my all-time favorite simple and quick meals. Try it for breakfast and notice how good your energy feels. It’s an especially beautiful meal with yellow squash, red onion and rainbow Swiss chard.
- 3/4 cup yellow or red onion
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, Swiss chard, and/or kale
- 1-2 tablespoons almonds (per person)
- 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese (per person)
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon savory
Serve vegetables over kasha, brown rice or bulghur. Top with 1/4 inch cubes or grated Monteray Jack cheese.
Cut onions in pieces about 5/8” by 5/8”, then sauté in oil on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. When onions start to soften, add the broccoli and a small pinch each of dried savory and thyme. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the pan and cover it. Let veggies cook for about 5 minutes. Tear the greens into bite size pieces. When the broccoli is tender, add the greens and cook until desired tenderness is reached. Cut the almonds in half across the widest part and add just before serving.
- Add cauliflower to the veggie mix.
- Try yellow squash or zucchini instead of broccoli.
- Add 1/2 inch cubes of tofu (instead of cheese) with the greens.
- Use raw sunflower seeds instead of almonds.